+44 (0)113 343 3471
Areas of Expertise
BA, PhD Leeds.
Visit my staff profile at the University of Leeds for the most detailed and up-to-date version of my profile.
- Sino-Japanese Relations: Facing the Past, Looking to the Future?, RoutledgeCurzon, 2004.
- Interpreting History in Sino-Japanese Relations. Routledge, 1998.
- 'Reconciliation – the broader context' in Dobson, H. and Kosuge Nobuko (eds) The UK and Japan at War and Peace, RoutledgeCurzon, 2009.
- 'Sino-Japanese relations and the dangers of new era diplomacy' in Dent, C.M. (ed.) China, Japan and Regional Leadership in East Asia, Edward Elgar, 2008.
- 'Breaking the Deadlock: Japan's informal diplomacy with China, 1958-9' in Iokibe, M, Rose, C., Tomaru J., and Weste, J. (eds) Japan's Diplomacy in the 1950s: From Isolation to Integration, RoutledgeCurzon, 2008.
- 'The Yasukuni Shrine Problem in Sino-Japanese Relations: Facing a Stalemate' in John Breen (ed) Yasukuni, the war dead and the struggle for Japan's past, Hurst & Co, 2007.
- 'The Battle for Hearts and Minds: Patriotic Education in Japan in the 1990s' in Shimazu, N. (ed.) Nationalism in Modern and Contemporary Japan, RoutledgeCurzon, 2006.
- 'Japanese Role in PKO and Humanitarian Assistance' in Inoguchi and Jain (eds). Japanese Foreign Policy Today. Palgrave 2001 pp.122-135
- '"Patriotism is not taboo": nationalism in China and Japan and implications for Sino-Japanese Relations'. Japan Forum 2000 12(2) 169-181.
- 'The Textbook Issue: Domestic Sources of Japan's Foreign Policy'. Japan Forum 1999 11(2) 205-216. Interpreting History in Sino-Japanese Relations. Routledge 1998.