Conference: Gender Perceptions and Practices in East Asia
18.Jun.2010 10.30 - 16.30
The Faculty Boardroom, Mappin Building -
Please see the below programme of events for the day.
If you wish to attend the day, please contact Kylie Wheeler (firstname.lastname@example.org
) to reserve a place.
11:00 Chair: Hiroko Takeda
- Michael Smith, University of Leeds, The Representation of Women in Postwar Japanese Cinema: Family, Rebellion, Desire
- Jo Elfving-Hwang, University of Frankfurt and Ruth Holliday, University of Leeds, Cosmetic Surgery in Korea
- Peter Matanle, University of Sheffield, Your Eyes are Lifeless!
- Representations of Female Workers and Managers and their Organisations in Japanese Manga
12:30-13:30 Lunch break
13:30 Chair: Jieyu Liu
- Ioannis Gaitanidis, University of Leeds, Gender and Spiritual Therapy in Japan
- Soyeun Kim, University of Leeds, Mainstreaming Gender – the Case of Japan and Korea’s Development Assistance
- Junko Yamashita, University of Bristol, Exploring the Impact of Care
Policy Reform on the Care Labour Market: A Case Study of Japan
15:00-15:30 Tea break
15:30 Chair: Delia Davin
- Xiaowei Zang, University of Sheffield, Ethnic Variation in Schooling in Ürümchi: A Gender Perspective
- Karen Shire, University of Duisburg-Essen, Gender and the End of
Employment Protection in Coordinated Market Economies: Germany and Japan
16:30 Drinks and networking